Whether you have a great idea for a whodunit or want to write your autobiography, this workshop will help you put pen to paper. The workshop will give you the motivation you need to reach your full potential.
The weekend will begin with a welcome wine and cheese social from 5-7pm.
Wake each morning to our three course served chefs whim breakfast, you won’t want to miss breakfast. Also included is a complimentary glass of wine at Wolffer Estate vineyards.
There will be two sessions available, 11-1pm or 3-5pm
Saturday: Analysis of your idea: What Makes a Compelling Story?
You know a compelling story when you are reading one; you put your feet up and read past your bedtime. You also know what happens when the story your reading or writing loses promise and leaves us disappointed and even a little bitter.
- We will take your story idea on a date and either flesh out your idea or support the story you are already writing.
- We will take a good long look at what story is and how and when it works best (and when it falls flat).
- We will differentiate story from plot and discuss how to mesh them so that the most compelling narrative can emerge. This is not a small thing; this is the thing, and no-one will leave the day without a clear understanding of how story and plot work together and apart.
- We will start at the beginning, when you first started thinking about writing a book. We will work through an exercise that clarifies your thoughts on that beginning so it shines a light on the rest of the story.
- We will find the key that will keep readers reading.
Sunday: How to make your story come alive: Scene vs. Summary
- We will learn how to convince agents, editors and readers that you know that emotion is the secret weapon of plot and creating a truly compelling story. We will talk about how that will shine through on each page.
- We will illustrate how books give readers the opportunity to do and be something other than what they do or are in their real lives. To feel beyond their normal feelings.
- We will explore how stories allow people to not only step into other worlds, but to experience those worlds. To do what they can’t in the course of a normal day.
- We will experience a fool proof technique that will help writers write stories that make readers feel, engage and keep reading.
This is an exclusive workshop to guests of our inn, there is a limit of 10 attendees.
The cost of this workshop is $300/pp plus the cost of the room.
Space is very limited
Deposits, Payments and Refunds:
• A non-refundable tuition deposit of $150 is due upon reservation.
• Cancellations less than one month before the workshop will be charge full cost of workshop.